Read Andrew’s Transcript
You have extensive experience in leading youth orchestras both in New Zealand and Australia, can you tell us more about your background prior to teaching?
Prior to Stuartholme I was involved in conducting orchestras and bands in New Zealand and South East Queensland. I was also involved in playing the trumpet in orchestras, playing in operas, musicals, shows and bands as well.
Why did you decide to accept the role as Leader of Culture – Performance?
I felt that as a conductor, as a musician, and as a beginning educator, I had a wonderful opportunity to engage students in life-long learning and get them hooked with a life-long passion for music.
I was very impressed with the strong music programme that already existed at Stuartholme and I was excited to be able to bring a depth of experience to the students and support them in their development.
What makes the Stuartholme music programme so special?
Quite simply, the Stuartholme music programme is the most comprehensive programme I’ve seen in a secondary school. There are 250 instrumental and vocal lessons taking place each week and 16 ensembles to choose from. From an early age, the ensembles develop the student’s technique and musicianship and we do that through the six years of study and performance.
As a professional musician what is your favourite type of music?
My favourite style of music definitely has to be jazz. Being a trumpet player, I’ve always been influenced by the improvisation and structures that work around jazz and of course the flexibility and freedom of jazz. It has great history and continues to develop into the future.
What tip do you have to help parents with a child learning an instrument?
My tip for all parents is that with regards to their daughter learning an instrument, quality is better than quantity. It only needs to be a little bit of practice but it needs to be every day.
B.Mus (Hons), Dip. Teach
- Gold Award – Hong Kong International Youth Music Festival Stuartholme School Concert Band
- Gold Award – Aurora International Youth Music Festival – Christchurch, New Zealand Stuartholme School Jazz Band
- Gold Awards – Queensland Catholic Colleges and Schools Music Festival Stuartholme School Concert Band and Jazz Band, 2010-2014
- Performances for international dignitaries and leaders including Nelson Mandela, Bill Clinton and Queen Elizabeth II Member of the Central Band of the Royal New Zealand Air Force Band
- Performed at the Vatican for Pope John Paul II at a Midnight Mass Christchurch Cathedral Orchestra