Subjects selected in Years 11 and 12 are studied over four semesters. To be eligible for a Queensland Certificate of Education (QCE), students must complete at least 20 semester units of learning.
A minimum of 12 credits must come from completed Core courses of study (i.e. Sound achievements in 3 subjects over 4 semesters). The remaining 8 credits can come from a combination of authority (OP eligible), authority registered (non OP) and or Vocational Education & Training (VET) courses. Students must also meet the QCE literacy and numeracy requirements.
Senior students may choose from 2 educational pathways to achieve the Queensland Certificate of Education (QCE):
Option 1 – Overall Position (OP)
This option leads to an OP and entrance to university or diploma level study.
- Sit for the Queensland Core Skills Test (QCS)
- Complete 20 semester units of Authority subjects. Three subjects must be studied continuously through Years 11 and 12.
Stuartholme students must select seven subjects for Year 11 and 12, made up of a minimum of six Authority subjects, including three core subjects. Two of the three core subjects must include:
- Mathematics A and/or B and/or C
All students must select a Religious education subject from either the Authority subject – Study of Religion (contributes towards an OP), or a non-Authority subject Religion and Ethics or Christian Ministry and Theology (does not contribute to an OP).
Upon successful completion of senior studies, each student receives a Queensland Certificate that records their performance on the QCS test, a Senior Studies statement of subject results and semesters studied, and Tertiary Entrance Statement — recording the Overall Position (OP).
Students may select a Vocational education certificate or Diploma as one of their subjects.
Option 2 – Queensland Tertiary Rank
This option leads to a QTAC selection Rank for entrance to university or TAFE courses in Queensland and select Northern NSW university – UNE and SCU.
- May choose to sit for the Queensland Core Skills Test (QCS)
- Complete 20 semester units combining Authority, Non Authority subjects and Vocational Education and Training certificates. Three subjects must be studied continuously through year 11 and 12.
- Include three core subjects – English or English Communication, Mathematics or Pre-vocational Mathematics and Religion and Ethics
- Vocational education Certificates III or IV
- May reduce their subject load to accommodate work and on-the-job training
Upon successful completion of Year 12, each student will receive a Senior Subjects Statement from Queensland Certificate of Education (QCE), Queensland Tertiary Admissions Centre (QTAC) Selection Rank Statement and Australian Quality Training Framework (AQTF) Certificates according to Vocational Education and Training (VET) course selection.